- Make sure all you equipment is on, amp is in standby, correct band on amp is selected, receiver tuned to an unused portion of the band.
- Place radio in cw mode lower power to 15 watts key up and adjust tuner for lowest swr, then raise power to max check swr and readjust as needed.
- Verify that your ALC is set per the manual if you have it connected
- Lower power back down to 15 watts turn amp to transmit and adjust the plate and load per the manual. (I skip this step due to I have recorded initial settings for the amp)
- Raise power to max that you want to drive the amp with (I do 70 watts) and key up adjusting the plate then load then plate for max watt output.
And that's it return to ssb mode and go for it make sure you readings on your amp, radio and swr meter (if you have one connected) are where they should be and go for it.
I have made a spreadsheet that I use (pic below) for my initial settings that get me very close to my final settings. I would suggest this to anyone who is new to this make a cheat sheet it could save you time and possibly damage to your amp.
Until next time